More job ads can be found in http://www.greenpeace.org/china/zh/.
Please do submit your application letter and resume written in both Chinese and English
Job title: Senior Researcher
Valid from: 01 January 2014
Job grade: 4
Reports to: Research Unit Head
Overall purpose of the job
The Senior Researcher is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing effective research and investigation to support Greenpeace’s campaigns, and providing and executing strategic advice on the development of research and investigation.
The Senior Researcher works under the Research Unit to carry out research and investigation for specific projects. The post holder will be required to do both desktop research and field investigation to collect evidence and information of environmental destruction.
The post holder usually works in project team which requires research and investigation which are sophisticated in nature and broad in its scope, and may involve task managing others to implement the plan. S/he also assists the Line Manager to enhance research capability. The post holder may be assigned to work in projects which involve other Greenpeace offices, including coordinating regional and global research tasks.
Discretion is exercised in handling confidential and sensitive information.
The post holder may exercise line management responsibility to 1 position if required by the Manager.
Major functions / responsibilities
Conceptual tasks, Strategy development and/or Project management
- Advise campaign projects on research-related matters.
- Design research and investigation plan according to Greenpeace protocol.
- Research and analyze a wide range of specialized materials on issues in relation to different campaign projects, and advise campaigns on research-oriented opportunities.
- Keep abreast of development of research methodologies and tools which can be of use by Greenpeace. Identify and experiment promising research tactics.
- Conduct desktop research and field investigation. Ensure accurate and professional research tasks are delivered timely.
- Prepare research materials and outputs.
- Collect and analyze information and data in proper format. Capture and organize useful information and data into databases to ensure strategic and valuable information is available for campaigning purpose. Analyze information and data, and produce briefing papers and reports to support campaign goals.
- Initiate collaboration and maintain relationship with institutions and individuals so as to enhance Greenpeace research capability. Find suitable contractors as required in compliance with Greenpeace policies.
Support/ Coaching/ Leadership
- Coordinate the development and implementation of research plan which are regional or global in scope.
- Provide on-job coaching to junior project members to ensure deliverance of project tasks and capacity growth of staff.
- Provide training to others in the organization to enhance capability in research, investigation and Rapid Response.
- Involve in Rapid Response to major environmental incidents.
- Monitor major environmental incidents and provide advice to management on matters related to Rapid Response.
Compliance/ Keeping Framework Conditions
- Ensure Greenpeace research and investigation are of professional quality and meet agreed global standards.
- Follow appropriate safety and security protocols in Greenpeace.
- Lead and involved in the development of research-related protocols, policies and standards.
- Evaluate research process and outcomes. Complete evaluation reports if required.
- Responsibly direct and control project spending.
- Professional , in particular strong research and analytic skills; knowledge of research tools and methodology.
- Sets and achieves goals, in particular demonstrated ability to formulate research plan, collect and analyze useful data and information.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with others
- Shares knowledge
- Trusts, values and respects others
- Innovative , in particular a strong track record of using new methods and tools for problem solving
- Research experience
- Experience working with Excel
- Experience ensuring IT security, in particular
- Ecological knowledge (at global/regional/national level)
- Knowledge of local/regional/international social and economic factors
- Understanding of the roles that science, politics, economics, industry, media and social change play in campaigning.
- Native speaker in
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Attention to detail
- Analytical skills
- Ability to assess risk and potential implications
- Security skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Project management experience
- Ability to evaluate and assess
- Ability to understand and synthesise relevant legal issues
- Ability to understand and synthesise relevant technical issues
- Builds and manages relationships with providers or consultants
- Ability to develop and manage a structured approach
- Creates and develops effective teams
- Ability to encourage and support risk-taking
- Ability to maintain stamina and resilience
- Commitment to the mission, principles and values of Greenpeace.
- Commitment to, and demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team.
- Able to work in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to operate and lead under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations.
- Ability to work across a variety of issues, under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities and to work unsocial hours as necessary.
Specific Work Environment
- The post holder works in a standard office environment, and is required to travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations or locations where environmental problems require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.
- The post holder will be required to work in physically or mentally challenging situations.
This position's salary range is from RMB10000-15000/month.
The salary is evaluated based on relevant working experience.
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Please send your application letter and full English and Chinese resume with current and expected salary to: email@example.com (for positions based in mainland China)
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.