More job ads can be found in https://www.greenpeace.org.cn/.
Please do submit your application letter and resume written in both Chinese and English
Greenpeace East Asia - Job description
Job title: Senior Legal Officer
Valid from: 22 October 2015
Job grade: 4
Reports to: Legal Unit Head
Overall purpose of the job
The Senior Legal Officer provides campaign related legal advice and legal service to Beijing Office of Greenpeace East Asia, including the specialized legal work on national law and international law issues for supporting campaign work. The Senior Legal Officer also provides legal support to the campaign projects in
Hong Kong Office, Taipei Office and Seoul Office as assigned and instructed by Legal Unit Head.
Report to the Legal Unit Head.
Conduct legal risk assessment; provide legal advice on international law issue; co-ordinate litigation with external lawyers, promote best practice throughout the organization and develop pro-active legal strategies for GPEA’s campaigns.
Conceptual tasks, Strategy development and/or Project management
- Campaign Legal Advice and Support: Provide campaign related legal advice and support in order to inform and enhance campaign project strategies; develop proactive and strategic defense legal
strategies as an element of campaign strategy, tactics and implementation.
- Proactive Legal Campaigning and Litigation: Develop legal tactics and legal strategies by using laws and legal proceedings to promote campaigns.
- Litigation management: In the event of legal proceedings or lawsuit against Greenpeace East Asia, work with external lawyers to develop legal strategies that support individuals and organization, whilst creating synergy with the campaign in the legal framework of national law and international law. Ensure external lawyers are provided adequate instruction and information and provide professional legal service.
- Legal Risk Management: Conduct Legal Risk Assessments for campaign activities that pose major risks. Advise the campaign project team on legal risks and how to reduce risk without
- Publications review: Conduct legal review on potentially contentious reports, briefings and other material produced by Greenpeace East Asia, and provide legal advises on mitigating the legal risks.
- International law: Provide legal advice on international law issues, including but not limited to international environmental law, international maritime law, international human rights law, international private law and international economics law. Develop and maintain knowledge of international law in order to provide pro-active guidance and advice to Greenpeace East Asia global
Compliance/Keeping Framework Conditions
- Knowledge management: Develop and manage information on all jurisprudence favourable to Greenpeace as well as pro-active litigation conducted by Greenpeace or others.
- Professional , in particular minimum 3 years working experience in the field of civil, administrative, criminal litigation and/or international law; candidtes holding Bar qualification and with work experience in international law will be given privilege
- Sets and achieves goals
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with others
- Shares knowledge, in particular in international law
- Trusts, values, and respects others
- Knowledge and understanding of the NGO sector
- Experience in conflict resolution
- Crisis management experience
- Knowledge of local/regional/international politics
- Legal writing skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Negotiation skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure
- Analytical skills
- Ability to understand and synthesize relevant legal issues
- Ability to communicate legal issues, tailored to target audiences
- Embraces diversity
- Creates team spirit, fosters team work and engagement
- Ability to communicate commitment and conviction
- Ability to think analytically and strategically
- Familiarity and affinity with activism
- Identification with Greenpeace goals and supportive of Greenpeace Values
Specific Work Environment
- This position will be based in Beijing, national and international travel is required.
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Please send your application letter and full English and Chinese resume with current and expected salary to:
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.