More job ads can be found in https://www.greenpeace.org.cn/. Please do submit your application letter and resume written in both Chinese and English
Senior Global Campaigner – IT (GPEA – Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, Taipei)
The IT sector is increasingly shaping our future. Let’s make sure that future is green!
Greenpeace East Asia is recruiting a Senior Global Campaigner to support a new global initiative on the IT sector. The post holder will work with Greenpeace offices across the world to challenge the industry to clean up their businesses, champion the use of renewable energy, and apply their best talents to build a greener world, not just smarter gadgets.
We are looking for qualified applicants to take a leading role in Greenpeace’s new corporate IT campaign. Core duties will include:
- Providing insight on the IT sector to craft campaign strategy and directing corporate discussions
- Guiding effective engagement with IT brands to minimize their environmental impact and build a greener future
- Monitoring and analyzing IT trends and corporate dynamics to develop a responsive and agile campaign
- Building and maintaining relationships with major IT brands
- Launching and maintaining a digital platform to engage campaign supporters
- Answering media inquiries as a campaign spokesperson
- Advising the campaign’s media team to effectively engage various audiences including IT employees
- Liaising with IT-related stakeholders including industry associations, other campaign organizations, and government/inter-governmental bodies
This position can be based in Hong Kong, Seoul, Taipei or Beijing. Deadline of application is Jan 25,2016.
This position is for 3-year contract subject to renewal. Applicants with working experience in the IT sector will have a strong advantage.
Any interested parties, please send your cover letter and full resume with current and expected salary to email@example.com.
For more details about the job:
Job title: Senior Global Campaigner
Job grade: 5
Reports to: Deputy ED / Deputy PD
Overall purpose of the job
The Senior Global Campaigner contributes to the development of global campaign strategies and their implementation, and leads and supports global campaign projects as required, in order to achieve agreed global campaign objectives.
The post holder's responsibilities extend beyond the territories where the position is based. Particularly s/he will be requested to give inputs on global strategies, and be involved in the development and implementation of projects which are led by offices in other regions or lead and support projects which involve multiple offices.
The responsibilities require considerable independence and initiative from the post holder. Decisions made by the post holder impact the overall success of the global project. Discretion is exercised in handling confidential and sensitive information.
The post holder may be asked to prepare, monitor and control expenses and budget.
Major functions / responsibilities
Conceptual tasks, Strategy development and/or Project management
- Lead the development of global campaign project plans, or provide expertise and input on the development of global campaign strategies, global campaign projects and funding proposals where relevant.
- Keep abreast of the external debate and trends in order to identify campaign opportunities.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of campaign activities, including non-violent direct actions on land and sea, in cooperation with Greenpeace offices and other international units, and in accordance with Greenpeace principles, in order to achieve agreed campaign objectives.
- Identify and coordinate research, investigation and science needs, to support global campaign project goals.
- Prepare external and internal reports, fact sheets and briefings in support of campaign objectives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with external parties such as academics, media, industry, political players, other NGOs and major donors, in support of the global campaign objectives and in cooperation with Greenpeace offices. Undertake reactive and proactive media work as required.
- Represent Greenpeace at relevant international and local meetings, conventions and press conferences, in cooperation with Greenpeace offices and other international units, in order to further agreed campaign objectives.
Support/ Coaching/ Leadership
- Task manage and coordinate activities of project team members and staff from multiple Greenpeace offices, to ensure integrated activities that are aimed at achieving agreed campaign objectives. Be able to operate in fast changing and potentially challenging circumstances with the ability to quickly and effectively adjust plans to best deliver objectives.
- Provide campaign expertise, knowledge and tactics to Greenpeace offices and international units when required. Facilitate global learning, by documenting and sharing lessons and best practices across multiple offices.
- Advise and assist on the development of funding proposals for major donors, and subsequent campaign reporting and representation, liaising with major donors and other supporters of Greenpeace work as required in order to ensure funding proposals are factually correct and in line with the agreed global campaign strategy.
Compliance/ Keeping Framework Conditions
- Provide expertise and inputs to the making of global campaign policies.
- Manage budget according to Greenpeace policy.
- Professional , in particular knowledge of campaign issue, proven strategic and analytical abilities, and solid project management skills.
- Sets and achieves goals, in particular demonstrated ability to promote social and environmental change with at least 3 years of experience in related fields.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with others, in particular proven ability to work with people with diversified skills and background.
- Shares knowledge
- Trusts, values and respects others
- Experience managing volunteers
- Campaigning experience
- Research experience
- Understanding of the roles that science, politics, economics, industry, media and social change play in campaigning.
- Technical writing skills
- Understands a campaigning organisations media advocacy needs
- Trained and experienced spokesperson
- Ecological knowledge (at global/regional/national level)
- Experience effectively dealing with confrontational situations
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Analytical skills
- Negotiation skills
- Public speaking skills
- Planning and organisational skills
- Budgeting (preparing, presenting, monitoring)
- Attention to detail
- Ability to assess risk and potential implications
- Team player
- Tactful and diplomatic
- Resilient and determined
- Ability to communicate scientific issues, tailored to target audiences
- Strategic orientation
- Creates and develops effective teams
- Ability to work across a variety of issues, under pressure and changing priorities and to work unsocial hours as necessary.
- Identification with Greenpeace goals and supportive of Greenpeace values.
- Identification with activism and dedication to social and environmental change.
- Discretion and confidentiality.
Specific Work Environment
- Works in a standard office environment, and is frequently required to travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations or locations where environmental problems require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Please send your application letter and full English and Chinese resume with current and expected salary to:
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.