More job ads can be found in https://www.greenpeace.org.cn/about/jobs/
Please do submit your application letter and resume written in both Chinese and English.
Researcher (Permanent / Full Time)
Greenpeace stands for positive change through action: the courage, independence and global reach to defend nature and promote peace.
Thank you for your interest in applying for this Researcher role. We hope that this pack gives you an insight into us and our work, plus details of the job and the people you’ll be working with. Everyone who works for Greenpeace is passionate about what we’re trying to achieve. We have big ambitions for our work and we believe it’s an immensely rewarding and inspiring place to work.
WHO WE ARE
Mission of Greenpeace
Greenpeace stands for positive change through action to defend the natural world and promote peace.
History of Greenpeace
In 1971, motivated by their vision of a green and peaceful world, a small team of activists set sail from Vancouver, Canada, in an old fishing boat. Their goal was to protest peacefully against U.S nuclear testing in Amchitka, a tiny island off the West Coast of Alaska. Amchitaka is one of the world's most earthquake-prone regions and home to endangered animals.
Greenpeace has been in East Asia since 1997 to fight climate change, stop toxic pollution, ensure food security, end illegal deforestation and defend the oceans.
Greenpeace has offices in Hong Kong, Beijing, Taipei and Seoul. Environmental problems know no borders, and Greenpeace recognizes the importance of regional offices that work together to achieve effective solutions for a sustainable future.
Surging economic development in East Asia has brought widespread prosperity, but has also taken a severe environmental toll, both regionally and in the world. Greenpeace is committed to ensuring a green development pathway together with the people of China Mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea.
THE RESEARCH UNIT
This Research Unit of GPEA provides research and investigation expertise for various program projects ranging from desktop research, such as online/database search, information and data gathering and analysis, to in-the-field investigation when needed. Various methodology and equipment/tools will be utilized during work.
THE POST OF Researcher
We are seeking for a dedicated and suitable researcher based in Beijing office in GPEA.
S/he can work on various exciting projects ranging from coal issues in climate change, fertilizer & pesticide overuse issues on agriculture, to remote and domestic forest crisis and pollutions caused by heavy metal and organic chemicals. The Researcher will be required to do both desktop research as well as in-the-field investigation to collect evidence and information of environmental destruction.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR (SPECIAL JOB AD)
1. Committed to make the world a better place
2. Attention to details and persistent to find out evidence
3. Have a strong goal-oriented analytical ability
4. Effective and efficient in project execution with output in accurate, relevant and timely way.
5. Having common and good sense on external issues, whilst be focused and good in prioritization.
6. Creative, resilient, and willing to take calculated risks.
7. Care about social issues and sensitive to social injustice problems.
Job title: Researcher
Job grade: 3
Reports to: Research Unit Head
Line manages: n/a
Overall purpose of the job
The Researcher is responsible for the planning, co-ordination and execution of research and investigation to help achieve campaign goals.
The Researcher works under the Research Unit to carry out research and investigation for specific projects. The post holder will be required to do both desktop research and field investigation to collect evidence and information of environmental destruction.
The post holder usually works in project team which requires research and investigation to support its campaign goals. S/he also assists the Line Manager to enhance research capability. The post holder may be assigned to work in projects which involve other Greenpeace offices.
Discretion is exercised in handling confidential and sensitive information.
Major functions / responsibilities
Conceptual tasks, Strategy development and/or Project management
- Advise campaign projects on research-related matters.
- Design research and investigation plan according to Greenpeace protocol.
- Research and analyze a wide range of specialized materials on issues in relation to different campaign projects, and advise campaigns on research-oriented opportunities.
- Keep abreast of development of research methodologies and tools which can be of use by Greenpeace. Identify and experiment promising research tactics.
- Conduct desktop research and field investigation. Ensure accurate and professional research tasks are delivered timely.
- Prepare research materials and outputs.
- Collect and analyze information and data in proper format. Capture and organize useful information and data into databases to ensure strategic and valuable information is available for campaigning purpose. Analyze information and data, and produce briefing papers and reports to support campaign goals.
- Initiate collaboration and maintain relationship with institutions and individuals so as to enhance Greenpeace research capability. Find suitable contractors as required in compliance with Greenpeace policies.
Support/ Coaching/ Leadership
- Monitor major environmental incidents and provide advice to management on matters related to Rapid Response.
- Involve in Rapid Response to major environmental incidents.
- Provide training to others in the organization to enhance capability in research, investigation and Rapid Response.
Compliance/ Keeping Framework Conditions
- Ensure Greenpeace research and investigation are of professional quality and meet agreed global standards.
- Follow appropriate safety and security protocols in Greenpeace.
- Evaluate research process and outcomes. Complete evaluation reports if required.
- Responsibly direct and control project spending.
- Professionalism, in particular strong research and analytic skills; knowledge of research tools and methodology.
- Achievement, in particular demonstrated ability to formulate research plan, collect and analyze useful data and information.
- Interpersonal relationship
- Knowledge sharing
- Values diversity
- Knowledge and/or experience in research and investigation
- Knowledge and/or experience in Excel
- Awareness and knowledge of ecological situation (global and regional/national)
- Awareness and knowledge of local and/or regional socio-economic environment
- Understanding of the roles that science, politics, economics, industry, media and social change playin campaigning.
- Fluency in written and spoken native language
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Attention to details
- Analytical skills
- Risk (legal, reputation, communication impact) assessement
- Work under pressure
- Project management
- Ability to evaluate and assess
- Intellectual ability to understand legal issues necessary/useful for the job
- Intellectual ability to understand technical issues necessary/useful for the job
- Build and manage relationships with providers or consultants
- Ability to encourage and support risk-taking
- Ability to maintain stamina and resilience
- Commitment to the mission, principles and values of Greenpeace.
- Commitment to, and demonstrated ability to work well as part of a team.
- Able to work in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to operate and lead under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging situations.
- Ability to work across a variety of issues, under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities and to work unsocial hours as necessary.
Specific Work Environment
- The post holder works in a standard office environment, and is required to travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations or locations where environmental problems require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.
- The post holder will be required to work in physically or mentally challenging situations.
Conditioned working hours is 37.5 hours/ week from Monday to Friday.
Annual Leave System
Year of service completed in Greenpeace worldwide No. of entitlement in a year
1st year 15
2nd year 15
3rd year 16
4th year 17
5th year 18
6th year 19
7th year or above 20
Greenpeace offers Social Insurance, Housing Provident Funds, and supplementary commercial insurance package during employment. Further details about these benefits will be provided if appointed.
LEARNING AND DEVELOPMENT
Greenpeace offers a combination of in house and external training opportunities throughout the year. Greenpeace also offers study leave for courses related to your work and assistance is available for relevant further education qualifications. For further information on learning and development opportunities please speak to the Staff Development Team.
HOW TO APPLY
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised positions, we are unable to respond to applicants who are not invited for interview. We apologize for this in advance.
Interested parties, please submit your cover letter to explain your motivation to apply the position and resume to :firstname.lastname@example.org . Please note if you fail to submit motivation letter your application will be deprioritized.
All information collected for recruitment purpose only. Only short-listed candidates will be notified and we do not accept any calls or visits in the first instance.
Getting to the Greenpeace office
Room 303A, Tower B, Jiachengyoushu Office Building, No. A 25,Dongsishitiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing China
Line 2 Dongsishitiao Station, Exit A within 5 minutes walking distance of our office.
The 3, 42, 113, 115, 118, 701, 758, Te 16, Ye 3, Ye34 buses all stop at the Dongsishitiaoqiaoxi station within 5 minutes walking distance of our office.