Greenpeace stands for positive change through action: the courage, independence and global reach to defend nature and promote peace.
Thank you for your interest in applying for this Communications Officer role. We hope that this pack gives you an insight into us and our work, plus details of the job and the people you’ll be working with. Everyone who works for Greenpeace is passionate about what we’re trying to achieve. We have big ambitions for our work and we believe it’s an immensely rewarding and inspiring place to work.
Who We Are
Mission of Greenpeace
Greenpeace stands for positive change through action to defend the natural world and promote peace.
History of Greenpeace
In 1971, motivated by their vision of a green and peaceful world, a small team of activists set sail from Vancouver, Canada, in an old fishing boat. Their goal was to protest peacefully against U.S nuclear testing in Amchitka, a tiny island off the West Coast of Alaska. Amchitaka is one of the world's most earthquake-prone regions and home to endangered animals.
Greenpeace has been in East Asia since 1997 to fight climate change, stop toxic pollution, ensure food security, end illegal deforestation and defend the oceans.
Greenpeace has offices in Hong Kong, Beijing, Taipei and Seoul. Environmental problems know no borders, and Greenpeace recognizes the importance of regional offices that work together to achieve effective solutions for a sustainable future.
Surging economic development in East Asia has brought widespread prosperity, but has also taken a severe environmental toll, both regionally and in the world. Greenpeace is committed to ensuring a green development pathway together with the people of China Mainland.
The Communications and Action Unit
The Communications and Action Unit are responsible for supporting the campaigns through the tactics of various communication and non-violent direct actions. It’s in charge of the develop and maintenance of communication channels including website, social media and so on, it’s also liaison with media from time to time. It takes the responsibility to communicate and engage with supporters and volunteers. With the expertise in communication, the staff in communication and action unit as the important member of project team, has to create the communication plan and implement it, with the objective of achieving campaign goal.
The Post of Communications Officer
The Communications Officer is responsible for working with Greenpeace East Asia’s project teams in developing and implementing effective multi-platform communications plans to fulfill campaign and organizational goals.
Who We Are Looking For (SPECIAL JOB AD)
- A good communicator
- Has the skills of project management
- Are able to work under pressures
- Has the exhausts in environment, has the commitment on it
- Understand the context of the media landscape and the willingness of working around it
Job title: Communications Officer
Valid from: 27 March 2014
Job grade: 3
Reports to: Communications & Action Unit Head
Line manages: N/A
Overall purpose of the job
The Communications Officer is responsible for working with Greenpeace East Asia’s project teams in developing and implementing effective multi-platform communications plans to fulfill campaign and organizational goals. This position requires strong specialized skills and experiences in communications related area, including knowledge of news industry, creating and pitching compelling stories, networking with traditional and new media, and utilizing tools and best practices to enhance Greenpeace’s ability on news making and building public support.
The position works under the direction of the Head of Communications & Action Unit. The position demonstrates considerable independence and initiative, and provides leadership for the planning, development and implementation of communications strategies, plans, and procedures. Decisions made by the position significantly impact the success of the project activities. Discretion is exercised in handling confidential and sensitive information.
The position provides direction and guidance to external consultants and temporary staff, as required.
The position prepares, monitors and controls expenses and budget.
Major functions / responsibilities
Conceptual tasks, Strategy development and/or Project management
- Plan, coordinate and execute cohesive, creative and effective communications strategies to increase visibility of Greenpeace campaigns in traditional and new media, and enhance public support and alignment to our issues.
- Develop and implement promotion plans to increase Greenpeace’s presence in digital media in order to increase brand recognition of Greenpeace, inspire public to support Greenpeace and its campaigns; create qualitative and quantitative key performance indicators for digital marketing plans.
- Contribute to the development of campaign plans and activities, so that communications strategies are embedded in campaigning plans.
- Act as Greenpeace spokesperson as required.
- Be the key contact for other Greenpeace offices on communications issues. Communicate with other Greenpeace offices and units to ensure an overview of global communications strategies and consistency on global, regional and national level.
- Write and, in some cases, initiate press releases and background information for news industry. Contribute to the creation of visuals and compelling stories to support communications plans and activities.
- Prepare and organize press conferences. Handle press enquiries. Prepares press materials and publications when needed.
- Work with agencies, designers and IT experts to produce content, creative tools and database that are required by the multi-platform communications plans.
- Provide communications evaluations on activities and projects from both media and public engagement perspectives.
- Build up and maintain traditional and new media contact database.
- Collect and analyze research information related to web trends, digital marketing and user experience etc, to ensure that Greenpeace operates in parallel with ongoing developments within the digital industry in China and globally.
- Proactively provide communications-related input on the future direction of campaigns; seek and recommend communications opportunities.
Support/ Coaching/ Leadership
- Help co-ordinate timing of events to prevent conflict.
- Promote support within Greenpeace to advance campaign goals. Work with other teammates to organize actions, activities and other events when needed.
- Respond to public inquiries about campaign issues and other organizational matters. Prepare materials as required.
Compliance/ Keeping Framework Conditions
- Perform other duties as assigned by the line manager.
- Work closely with the CAT management and communications team to ensure coherence of public messaging.
- Build and maintain a sound general knowledge of all Greenpeace campaigns and issues, in order to be capable of responding to general press and public inquiries.
- Oversee professional management of the Greenpeace image collection, copyrights and other creative assets.
- Professionalism, in particular - Professionalism, in particular knowledge of traditional media, social media
- Interpersonal relationship
- Knowledge sharing
- Values diversity
- Fluency in written and spoken native language
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Work under pressure
- Ability to evaluate and assess
- Project management
- Knowledge and understanding of the NGO sector
- Decision making
- Planning & Organizing
- Planning & Organizing
- Ability to work across a variety of issues, under pressure of deadlines and changing priorities -Ability to keep calm and work effectively under pressure.
Specific Work Environment
- Be on call after hours and on weekends as requested.
- The position may be required to work under pressure and in physically or mentally challenging
- The position works in a standard office environment, and is required to travel to other Greenpeace
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
This position's salary range is from RMB8000-10000/month.
The salary is evaluated based on relevant working experience.
Conditioned working hours is 37.5 hours/ week from Monday to Friday.
|Annual Leave System|
|Year of service completed in Greenpeace worldwide||No. of entitlement in a year|
|7th year or above||20|
Greenpeace offers Social Insurance, Housing Provident Funds, and supplementary commercial insurance package during employment. Further details about these benefits will be provided if appointed.
Learning and Development
Greenpeace offers a combination of in house and external training opportunities throughout the year. Greenpeace also offers study leave for courses related to your work and assistance is available for relevant further education qualifications. For further information on learning and development opportunities please speak to the Staff Development Team.
How to Apply
Please send your CV, a covering letter written both in English and Chinese to firstname.lastname@example.org
Your CV should outline your skills and experience, and include contact details of two referees. We will not take up references until a job offer has been made.
Your covering letter is the most important part of your application. It should be used to tell us how you meet the selection criteria listed on the person specification. Draw particular attention to experience, skills, achievements and knowledge gained in past employment or other activities which are relevant to the job. It may be easiest to use the headings relating to the requirements detailed in the person specification and demonstrate how you meet them. Please ensure your covering letter is no more than 4 pages long (4 sides of A4).
As we receive a large number of applications for our advertised vacancies we are unable to respond to those applicants who have not been shortlisted and we apologise for this in advance.
Getting to the Greenpeace office
Room 303A, Tower B, Jiachengyoushu Office Building, No. A 25,Dongsishitiao, Dongcheng District, Beijing China
Line 2 Dongsishitiao Station, Exit A within 5 minutes walking distance of our office.
The 3, 42, 113, 115, 118, 701, 758, Te 16, Ye 3, Ye34 buses all stop at the Dongsishitiaoqiaoxi station within 5 minutes walking distance of our office.